counter on blogger
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Recipe of the Week: Bok Choy
During my December staycation, I met up with my cousins from Virginia in Chinatown, NYC. Between the five of us, we were gluten-free, dairy-free, MSG-free, shellfish-free, and annatto-free. We chose to meet at Buddha Bodai, a vegetarian and Kosher restaurant to accommodate our needs and since it highlights gluten-free options on the menu.

During our very busy and rushed lunched (the place was packed and a rude patron took our table), we ordered a bunch of dishes including some steamed vegetables. I am not usually big on Chinese vegetables and I HATE water chestnuts, but my dish was a nice variety of veggies including bok choy. My cousin's wife and I were both pleasantly surprised by the taste of the bok choy and it left me curious about the vegetable I often see at my local Asian market.

Fast forward to this past Sunday when I was feeling daring and decided to pick up some bok choy. With more than 7 varieties to choose from at the market, I chose the one that looked closest to what I ate at Buddha Bodai. I was a bit intimidated by this little Chinese cabbage. What was it? How was I going to cook it? At only $0.59 per pound, I figured it was worth the challenge. Low in calories and high in vitamin C I was ready to find an easy recipe.

On doing a Google search, one of my favorite bloggers popped up second. When I clicked over to Steamy Kitchen, I saw an extremely easy recipe for bok choy that I knew I could tackle. (Side note, if you aren't reading Steamy Kitchen you should be. Jaden's blog is full of beautiful pictures, witty commentary, and a house to envy.)

With only a few modifications, I successfully prepared my first bok choy dish. I don't have fresh ginger at home so I used the powdered ginger spice instead. Also, I didn't have sesame oil so I didn't drizzle that on at the end. This dish was simple and surprisingly flavorful. I ate it with some brown rice, a pork chop, and topped all with some San-J Gluten-Free Reduced Sodium Tamari. It sounds silly, but I overcame my fear of making bok choy at home and will definitely make it again. It's cheap, easy to make, and delicious.

Click here for Steamy Kitchen's "How to cook bok choy" and recipe!

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Blogger ackdavis said...

Oh sesame oil adds such a delightful nutty flavor with just a little going a long way. Do try it. Sliced ginger is more pungent than the powdered adding a level of flavor to any dish. For those avoiding salt, Tamari can be omitted and the dish is still full of tasty texture. Bok Choy in the cabbage family, is a very rich source of many vital phyto-nutrients, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Hign in C, A, K and Bs. Check http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/bok-choy.html for more about its values. Now is the best time for bok choy, winter. I'm hungry for it now ...

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer