counter on blogger
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Day 2-4: Sugar is Everywhere... and Headaches
I admit, after being gluten-free for more than 32 years I have gotten lazy with my label reading. I stick with foods I know and trust. I eat more whole foods than packaged foods and only read labels when I am unsure of a new product or if I see that something on the packaging has changed. With this elimination diet, I have become hyper vigilant in reading labels again. And you know what?? Sugar is in EVERYTHING!!!

Seriously, I am shocked where I am finding sugar. I guess I never really thought about sugar that much until now. I don't live under a rock, so obviously I know sugar is ridiculously prevalent in most diets but the way it sneaks in is just crazy. I think I was most shocked to see sugar in sausage. Mild, Italian, breakfast, "healthy", it doesn't matter. Sugar or a derivative is literally in every sausage package I picked up (and then put down) this week. 

I think the hardest thing for me this week so far has been eating no fruit or eggs. I make fruit smoothies every morning but not during this elimination diet. It's been hard to have fruitless smoothies. Straight up kale and almond milk just doesn't taste the same without a banana and some berries. As for the eggs, I don't think I get enough protein even when not on this diet. Eggs are usually a go-to source of protein for me. I usually boil up a few at the beginning of the week and snack on them during the day. Without these eggs, I have begun to rely heavily on nuts. I do not eat that many nuts, but I am loading up on almonds, walnuts, and cashews. I also bought sunflower seeds which I haven't had in years. I was actually worrying tonight that I having too much almond products: milk, meal, almonds, and butter. I have heard of people developing allergies from eating too much of one thing so I am hoping this really doesn't happen to me.

My main issue since I started this on Friday has been awful headaches. I don't know if it is that I am not eating enough or it is a side effect of the sugar leaving my system, but I've had a headache 3 out of 4 days. I don't usually get headaches this bad so I am assuming it is related to this elimination.

To be honest, I think I could/should cut out even more. I have been eating carrots which are ok according to my doctor. He just doesn't want me eating them all the time and drinking tons of carrot juice. I also feel I am heavy on the nuts, as I said before.

Oh and who decides to go away from home (and their own kitchen) the very first weekend of their elimination diet? Me, of course. I went to babysit my nieces and nephew and went armed with a bunch of food. I was really hungry on Saturday and not as bad on Sunday but did get another huge headache. I probably should have planned ahead a little bit better and brought some additional food with me. It wasn't too bad, but it could have been better.

Let's see how the rest of this week goes. I have dinner plans and a brunch. I think the socializing and dining part of this week is going to be tough.

Thank you for your emails and support so far!

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger ackdavis said...

Headaches could be from withdrawal (think eliminating soda, anything you're routinely ingested before). Not enough water will bring on headache. Tension too. Change of diet in itself is a big impact. Wish you the best to wade through the next Wed, Thurs, Fri ... then you're where you wanted to be when you started. Courage, gal. Carry on! You know you can do it.

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer