counter on blogger
Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Gluten-Free Fun (Permanent?) Hiatus


As you may have noticed, I haven't blogged in close to two months. It's not that I don't have anything to say, that's quite the opposite. It is that I have so much to say but have become completely disenchanted with the celiac community... almost to the point where I want to quit entirely.

I am a person that prides myself on honesty, integrity, and outspokenness. I have never shied away from controversial topics in the celiac community. For those of you reading this blog from the beginning, you know I dig deep and speak up when others will not. I give my opinions, but I always try to back up what I say with facts. It seems that facts these days don't really matter in the celiac world anymore. People are believing what they want to believe and are attacking those of us that are trying to help others navigate a gluten-free, celiac lifestyle with these facts. I am now relying on screenshots of posts, tweets, and direct messages to back me up. Yes, it has come to that point.

In addition, too many people are driven by the almighty dollar and not the health and well-being of 1% of the United States population living with celiac disease. These people are not only spreading falsehoods but they are also promoting brands that are NOT safe for those of us with celiac disease. From celiac centers to gluten-free magazines to online forums, the dollar is driving the information and not the ethics of representing a community living with an autoimmune disease. It's really very sad.

Being personally targeted online by a doctor, a dietitian, a magazine editor, gluten-free lifestyle bloggers, a celiac forum, and countless other supporters of these popular people is just more than one person can handle. These people are hiding behind online personas and rejecting invitations to talk about this face-to-face or via telephone. Trust me, I have tried and I am giving up. There are only so many unanswered emails a person can send without being completely exhausted over trying. I am also a person with feelings so bullying me online affects me personally. How can it not? It's sad but all I know is there is only so much on person can take and stepping back is something I need to do for me.

The gluten-free blogging world was much different back in 2007 when I started Gluten-Free Fun. There was no social media, there were no ads, people weren't competing to make their blog a source of revenue. We simply wrote to share our stories and experiences of living with celiac disease. While there are some people today that are still striving to do the same, authenticity among gluten-free bloggers and social media personas is a disappearing characteristic. I praise those who are still being their authentic selves, trying to make this celiac community better.




I have been trying to be that person from the second I launched this blog in 2007 but sometimes, you need to know when to walk away. I think now is that time for me. Maybe I will come back to blogging, maybe I won't. In the meantime, here is where you can find me since I don't think I could ever go entirely silent.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer