counter on blogger
Friday, January 21, 2011
Recipe of the Week: Edamame Hummus
The third 2011 Recipe of the Week was a HUGE success and a sort of "choose your own adventure" of recipe adaptation. This is my version of Edamame Hummus.

This week's recipe was based on the Spicy Edamame Hummus recipe from Vital Juice. The Vital Juice recipe came from La Fuji Mama's Quick and Easy Edamame Dip recipe and she adapted that from the Food Woolf's Forever Green Edamame Dip recipe. Add on top of these three recipes my own adaptations and you find your fourth generation edamame dip recipe. I love when you get lost in webpages clicking on one link to another. From the Vital Juice website, I have now added two new outstanding food blogs to my regular RSS reading rotation.

(Side note: If you aren't subscribing to Vital Juice Daily yet, you should be. It is a really fun enewsletter that sends out quality information. I get a double dose of Vital Juice through their "Everywhere" and NYC enewsletters.) 

Vital Juice Spicy Edamame Hummus Recipe

Ingredients
16 oz. frozen, shelled edamame
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
3/4 c. red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic
3 Tbs. olive oil
3 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
1 Tbs. Sriracha Chili Sauce (look for it in the ethnic section of your grocery store)
2 lemons, juiced
Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
salt and black pepper to taste

Directions
1. Boil a small pot of water. Turn off the flame and add edamame to the water. Stir for about 10 seconds and then immediately drain the water (you want to just barely thaw the edamame, not cook it).

2. In a food processor, combine all the ingredients, except the salt and black pepper, and pulse until mixture starts to become smooth. Leave some small chunks for texture. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.

3. Transfer to a serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with chips, crackers, or cucumber and carrots sticks.


My Modifications
  • I am not big on spicy things, so I skipped the Sriracha Chili Sauce and added a teaspoon of chili powder instead. 
  • I didn't have toasted sesame oil on hand so I used 2 1/2 additional tablespoons of olive oil.
  • I used 4 teaspoons of minced garlic instead of 4 cloves of garlic. (What can I say, I am a sucker for pre-cut ingredients)
  • I skipped the cilantro and the salt.


I really loved this dip. It was easy to make and the flavors were just right. I think this would be a perfect addition to your Super Bowl Sunday food spread. I ate the dip with Trader Joe's Onion & Chive Corn Crackers but I think it would go well with gluten-free pretzels, veggies, and event spreading it on bread for a sandwich.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer