counter on blogger
Monday, January 2, 2012
Recipe of the Week is Back: Lentil Soup
Last year one of my new year's resolutions was to try cooking a new recipe each week. I did well for about 2 1/2 months but then life got in the way, I got busy, then I got sick. Quite honestly, when I started to feel sick I stopped cooking. Being home made me upset because I was always feeling crappy. It wasn't until May when I realized it was actually my apartment making me so sick. But 2011 is behind me now.

It's a new year. I am in a new and cleaner kitchen (and apartment) and I am ready to try this again. I was looking into recipes that are thought to bring luck in the new year and saw many recipes about beans and lentils. I was then looking in my pantry to see what I had on hand. I had lentils and broth, so this got me clicking around on the internet to see what I could find.

According to Epicurious: "Legumes including beans, peas, and lentils are also symbolic of money. Their small, seedlike appearance resembles coins that swell when cooked so they are consumed with financial rewards in mind. In Italy, it's customary to eat cotechino con lenticchie or sausages and green lentils, just after midnight—a particularly propitious meal because pork has its own lucky associations. Germans also partner legumes and pork, usually lentil or split pea soup with sausage. In Brazil, the first meal of the New Year is usually lentil soup or lentils and rice, and in Japan, the osechi-ryori, a group of symbolic dishes eaten during the first three days of the new year, includes sweet black beans called kuro-mame."

My first new recipe of 2012 is Lentil Soup III from All Recipes. I cut the recipe mostly in half based on serving size and other comments on the website.

Happy New Year Lentil Soup based on Lentil Soup III



1 cup dry lentils
1 quart gluten-free vegetable broth
1 onion, diced
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Directions
In a large saucepan combine lentils, broth, onion, tomato paste, garlic and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are soft, 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with a squeeze of lemon.

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love lentals! I hope 2012 is better for both of us. Keep up the great work! :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer