counter on blogger
Friday, February 18, 2011
Recipe of the Week: Impossibly Easy Bacon Pie
I was sick all of last week and I was craving some hearty comfort food. I was looking around my kitchen and saw my box of Gluten-Free Bisquick and thought that might be just what I was looking for in my cold medicine induced haze.

I went to the Betty Crocker website and searched through her recipes. I had made the Gluten-Free Hearty Chicken Pot Pie as well as the Impossibly Easy Chicken n' Broccoli Pie from the Betty Crocker site but I knew I wanted something new and breakfasty. Then I saw it: Impossibly Easy Bacon Pie. The words bacon and pie were calling my name. I needed to make that immediately.

Luckily this was a really easy recipe because my ability to stand was dwindling once more cold medicines kicked in. I wanted to throw this together, let it bake, eat, and then fall into a satiated sleep. And that is exactly what happened.

Impossibly Easy Bacon Pie

Ingredients
12 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz)
1/3 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup Original Bisquick® mix (Obviously, I used the gluten-free Bisquick)
1 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 400°F. Grease 9-inch glass pie plate. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion into pie plate.
  2. In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients until blended; pour into pie plate.
  3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Modifcations
  • Most importantly, I used the Gluten-Free Bisquick and not the original. 
  • I used a variety of shredded cheeses that I had on hand including monterey jack, colby, and mozzarella.
  • I used a red onion.
  • I used turkey bacon because I had it on hand and also it made me feel somewhat healthier. Many years ago I saw my friend's mom make bacon in the oven, this was new to me since we always made bacon in my house on a grill pan. Do yourself a favor and make your bacon in the oven! It is so easy. Cover one cookie sheet with tinfoil, lay out your bacon in single slice, and bake on each side for about 5 minutes. Once your bacon is crispy, let it drain a bit on paper towels, crumple up your tinfoil and throw away. Easy baking with easier cleanup. Thanks Mrs. D for this tip more than 20 years ago!

This dish gets 5 stars! I loved it.

Labels: ,



8 Comments:

Blogger Jennie said...

This sounds good. I wanted to see a picture of it. I'm printing this to have it handy for a quick fix meal!

Blogger Unknown said...

I ate too much of it before I got to take a picture! Maybe the Betty Crocker website has one? Just remember to use the gluten-free Bisquick even though recipe calls for regular. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

where can i find gluten free Bisquick?

Blogger Unknown said...

Check Walmart and Target. I found some at Shoprite in NY. Also look in both gluten-free sections as well as regular baking sections of your supermarket. It might be on the same shelf as the regular Bisquick. Also, you can buy at Amazon.com. Hope this helps.

Readers, where do you buy gluten-free Bisquick?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to Target and Walmart today!! :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually found gluten free Bisquick at Albertsons and Walmart. Cheaper at Walmart. Checked a Super Target store--they did not have it.Anyways----I stocked up!!! I live in AZ, so it may vary from state to state.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also just wanted to thank you for sharing this recipe--it made going to 3 different stores looking for GF Bisquick worth it!!

Blogger magdelenamay said...

i cant wait to try this, it sounds so delicious!

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer