Did you know that many of Frito-Lay's products are gluten-free
? Neither did I until the NFCA asked me to try a new recipe using Frito-Lay products. I was really excited about this because I've been in a food rut lately, always eating the same things. I was "assigned" to make Baked Stuffed Tomatoes using Tostitos as the crumb filling. What??? Make a dish using corn chips? I'm in!!
In addition to my recipe below, the NFCA is featuring guest bloggers as recipe testers for other Frito-Lay recipes all this week. You can see all of the recipes here: http://www.celiaccentral.org/frito-lay/recipes/
Want to win your own Frito-Lay products? Keep reading for more information...
Baked Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
|Baked stuffed tomatoes. Photo courtesy of Frito-Lay|
- 6 large beefsteak tomatoes
- About 4 servings of Tostitos Restaurant Style tortilla chips, crushed into ½ cup crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons
- ½ cup shredded dairy-free cheese (or ½ cup Parmesan cheese if you’re not dairy-free)
- 1 cup white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350. Slice top of tomatoes off and scoop out pulp and seeds. Salt the insides of tomatoes and rest upside down on a wire rack over a sheet pan to extract juices for about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together Tostitos crumbs, basil, cheese, kidney beans, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stuff tomatoes with the filling, and bake until tomatoes are cooked through and tops are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
3. If you have some filling leftover, it makes a great mix-in for spinach salad!
I have to say, I was really impressed with how this recipe turned out. I don't love tomatoes but the filling balanced out the flavor well. I ate one stuffed tomato for dinner and I was full. (Might have been all of the Tostitos I ate while waiting that filled me up, come to think of it!) This was really simple to make and I would definitely make this again in the future.
I made a few changes to the recipe to spice things up a bit. Here were my swaps:
- Used Tostitos Simply Natural Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips
- Only used 2 tomatoes since I was cooking for myself
- Used about 12 chips for the crumbs; 1 serving of chips is approximately 6 chips
- Used red kidney beans instead of white
- Added cumin and chili powder to the mix to spice things up
- Used regular shredded cheddar cheese since I am not dairy free.
|Tostitos Simply Natural Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips|
Check out the gluten-free icon, 2nd from right on the bottom
|Scooped out tomato|
|Tortilla Chip Crumbs|
|Before baking, stuffed to the gills! |
|After baking, too much stuffing burst the tomato|
GLUTEN-FREE GIVEAWAY: FRITO-LAY
Visit the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness giveaway page
to win your very own Frity-Lay gluten-free prize pack!
Labels: frito-lay, NFCA, recipe