counter on blogger
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Gluten-free. A Fad or a Trend?
I saw this graphic on the Hartman Salt website and was blown away that only 5% of the gluten-free food purchases are for people with Celiac Disease. This really is an excellent visual representation of the gluten-free trends in the United States.

Here is what Hartman Salt had to say:
"The year 2011 is quickly becoming the Year of Gluten-free. But will it last? While a number of people have made a very conscious decision to avoid gluten in their diets, a very small percentage of consumers have valid health reasons for doing so. What we saw in the case of low-carb tells us a few things about the long-term viability of gluten-free analogs as a successful product category. This HartmanSalt infographic begins to makes sense of the gluten-free maze."


Click here for the larger picture.

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also noticed an increase in the market for gluten free products for non-Celiac/gluten intolerant consumers, mainly from my experiences with a number of restaurants (I noticed this especially when I was back home in San Francisco during the holidays). A number of restaurants I've eaten at or stopped by to check out: 1) had new gluten free options on their menus but no awareness of contamination issues, and 2) had staff who assumed that because I'm gluten free, I also must want my food to be vegetarian, MSG-free, dairy free, etc (whatever that person associates with the health food movement).

So, setting aside for a moment the question of how lasting this trend will be, I think that the current existence of the phenomena, for us Celiacs and very sensitive gluten intolerant people, there are some concerns and disadvantages to this, in addition to the obvious upsides (more gluten free options). Namely, when the majority of gluten free food-seeking consumers are people whose preferences don't require strict adherence or attention to contamination issues, the association between the gluten free diet and the need to reduce cross-contamination weakens in the minds of the public, including restaurant staffs and packaged food manufacturing staffs. I've thought about sometime trying cutting sugar from my diet to see if it improves the way I feel, for instance; if I did that I'd probably figure 98% sugar reduction will give me about 98% of the benefits and take a restaurant menu at its word if it calls something sugar free. This is how many of these new gluten free consumers undoubtedly view gluten, and the challenge is to make sure we're not lumped with that group.

Anonymous Foods For IBS said...

Hi,

Gluten is a protein found in certain grains. The gluten-free food purchases are for people with Celiac Disease.The celiac foundation says the protein is found in all forms of wheat — including durum, semolina, spelt, kamut, einkorn and faro — and related grains rye, barley and triticale. Thanks for this unique information.

Blogger CeliacTwnMomma said...

I'm still mad about the diagnose of Celiacs in my life. I hate that EVERY thing is 3 times the price. Then when a company makes something gluten free they ASSUME I need it organic too. NOPE I'm an average American with just got screwed because of my health and that doesn't mean you need to screw me too on the price.

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer