counter on blogger
Friday, October 18, 2013
2013 Celiac Disease Center at Columbia Gala Recap and Photos
Last night I attended the 2013 Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University gala fundraiser at the Mandarin Oriental in New York City. This is one of my favorite events of the year because I always get to catch up with amazing gluten-free friends. It's like a Celiac reunion in fancy clothes!

Last night's event was extra special because it was hosted by The Daily Show's Jon Stewart. Turns out that Jon's son and wife both have Celiac Disease and Dr. Green, from the Center, diagnosed his son. Mystery solved as to why he was there! Unfortunately, I did not get to meet Mr. Stewart in person as he was quickly whisked away by Columbia staff to meet others who probably donated much more money than I ever did. I did snap some candid shots of him signing autographs and giving a speech about how the Center helped his family.







Congresswoman Nita Lowey of New York was also there and I was so excited to meet her. As I have said before, these are my real Gluten-Free Celebrities! Congresswoman Lowey was a key backer of moving the gluten-free labeling legislation through to the FDA. I thanked her profusely on behalf of the entire Celiac community for focusing on this issue. She is such a sweetheart.

Me with Congresswoman Nita Lowey

Another highlight of my night was when a blog reader and her daughter Jacquelyn came up to meet me. Jacquelyn was diagnosed with Celiac about five years ago and my blog was the first one her mom started reading. She thanked me for being a great resource and I was beyond flattered and touched by her thanks. She said I helped them a lot and it was great to finally meet me in person. People, this is why I do what I do. If I can help just one person through this blog, it makes all of my time worth it. Thank you Jacquelyn and your mom (so sorry I forgot your name!!) for saying hello!

My friends from the Gluten Intolerance Group of Long Island, formerly knows as the Suffolk County Celiacs, were guests of honor last night. It was so great to see them get recognition for all of their hard work for the Celiacs of Long Island, New York. Congratulations!

Gluten Intolerance Group of Long Island

By my estimates there were almost 300 people in attendance, enjoying a gluten-free meal including a bread basket full of gluten-free breads from Hu Kitchen, Schar, Foods by George, and Free Bread, Inc. I ate way too many bread products, but it is always awesome to go to a party where everything is safe to eat.

Although I am not a patient of the Celiac Disease Center, I work very hard to promote their events to my readers and NYC Celiac Meetup members. I know the doctors of the Center have helped many of my Meetup members with a proper diagnosis and their road to healing. Thank you to the Celiac Disease Center for my ticket and for all you do for our community.

Karen of Free Bread Inc., Kirsten of Our Gluten-Free Family, Jill of Glow Gluten-Free and Me

Me with Alan of the Paul Taylor Dance Company

Me with the amazing Jill of Glow Gluten-Free 

Me with Pedro of Everybody Eats





Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer