counter on blogger
Thursday, April 9, 2015
Birthday Reflections: Being an Authentic Celiac
AUTHENTIC (adjective) 
au·then·tic 
\ə-ˈthen-tik, ȯ-\
  • real or genuine 
  • not copied or false
  • true and accurate
source

Today is my birthday and it is time for a little reflection on my celiac life, my gluten-free blogs, and my position as an advocate within the community. As I sit here, the word "AUTHENTIC" keeps popping back into my brain.

I have always tried to be 100% authentic. I blog how I think and how I talk which is usually stream of consciousness, honest, raw, and real. I greet readers and Facebook friends with a wide genuine smile and usually a hug, which is how I want to be greeted by people I like and admire. I leave honest comments on other blogs that aren't always in favor of what the author is writing, but it is my honest opinion that I want to share.

Recently, I had some interesting questions thrown my way by others in the gluten-free industry. One person asked me why I bother with two separate blogs. (Different topics, different missions.) Why I quit my job to do freelance work? (If not now, when?) and why do I do what I do or don't do XYZ with my websites.... in a less than friendly tone. (Um, this is me, take it or leave it!)

But these questions made me think, are there that many bloggers not being truthful to themselves and their audiences? Are they selling out their personal style and opinions just to make money? Why would I not do what I love, follow my passion, share my experiences while remaining authentic and true to myself? I honestly cannot imagine being any other way.

I may not be the gluten-free blogger with the biggest following. I never expect everyone to love me, my blog, and my opinions. But I can tell you from the bottom of my heart, I am real. I am genuine. I am authentic. I have been living with celiac disease for almost 34 years. I am not trying to be trendy by eating gluten-free for three decades and writing this blog for the past eight years. I am trying to share my life long experiences in hopes that I can help just one person in this world navigate their new celiac diagnosis. I will continue to be real as I start this next year of my life. This is my birthday promise to you.




Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Candice said...

Well said, and SO very true. Keep being your authentic self. You are so loved and respected in this community. Happy Happy Birthday!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer