counter on blogger
Friday, April 10, 2009
Gluten-Free on 90210
Update 6/15: the video was taking down from YouTube due to copyright infringement. The episode was called "Off the Rails" and you can find another version here, including Polish subtitles! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdhBNCQ3HJM

I have been a devout Beverly Hills 90210 watcher since I was 12 years old so obviously I am watching the new series even though it is basically a teen train wreck that I can't turn away from. No pun intended for this week's them.

Imagine my surprise when gluten-free got not one but TWO shout-outs in this week's episode! The first mention of gluten-free bread was in reference to living in Beverly Hills and having options that they wouldn't have in Kansas. I imagine those in Kansas would gladly prove the 90210 mom wrong but hey, they mentioned gluten-free on TV! The next mention was when they were serving the gluten-free french toast for breakfast. This mention of gluten-free would have never been on the original BH 90210, but it is nice to see that gluten-free mentions are hitting the prime time television shows these days.

You can check it out here around 1:38 and again at 3:07.

Labels: , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Samaber said...

Yeah, but then she goes on to say that she doesn't even know what gluten is, but she's glad she doesn't have to eat it. I welcome anyone to start a GF diet because the more demand for GF goods, the more we'll have. But this type of exposure reinforces those misconceptions that it's just a choice and not a requirement for people.

Blogger Unknown said...

Samaber, I see where you are coming from but more than anything I appreciate that the writers even considered mentioning gluten-free in their show. I have been gluten-free with a diagnosis of Celiac Disease since 1981 and the more exposure of the mainstream to Celiac Disease and gluten-free needs, the better. 27 years ago there was NOTHING for me to eat and my parents struggling to keep me healthy and gluten-free. If 90210 is going to give an off-hand remark about eating or not eating gluten-free, I actually welcome it.

Anonymous Tiffany said...

I agree with Erin - any mention of the term helps us out in some way or another. I'm the one on the diet and I know what gluten is which is the important thing. Many restaurant workers don't even know that wheat is in white bread....let alone that wheat is gluten....lol! All publicity is good publicity in my book. Let's just try and keep 'newbies' from following gluten-free diet advice from celebrities ;)

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer